While you might not know what SEO means it’s likely you see the results of it every day when using search engines such as Google and Yahoo.
SEO, or search engine optimisation, is simply the process of optimising a website or webpage to rank higher in search engines. There is a lot written and said about SEO – some of it accurate and some of it not – and while you might be able to leave most of the details to a web designer if you have a business website it’s a good idea to have a basic understanding of what’s important in SEO.
- Keywords, keywords, keywords… The fact is if you don’t know what keywords (single keywords and phrases) people use to search for a business like yours (e.g. “Accountant Melbourne”) you are sunk from the beginning. Write down every keyword you can imagine people may use and then decide on which ones are the most important to include.
- Content is king. Having a content-rich website that informs and engages your visitors and uses keywords strategically is vital.
- Get other websites to link to yours, with keywords included in the links.
- Search engines love websites that are updated regularly.
- Think localisation with your keywords (e.g. Melbourne, Moorabbin, Cheltenham, etc.) particularly if you focus your services or products on specific suburbs.
This is only the tip of the iceberg. There are many things your web designer also needs to know, such as using text links instead of Java script, limiting Flash animations and graphics and using keywords in web addresses, headings, title and meta tags.
For more information on SEO contact Paul Hurkmans at En Pointe today.
LOOKING FOR FREE CONTENT? PLEASE FEEL FREE TO USE THIS ARTICLE FOR PERSONAL OR BUSINESS USE. SIMPLY ATTRIBUTE THE ARTICLE TO PAUL HURKMANS AND INCLUDE A LINK TO PAUL’S BUSINESS: EN POINTE – THE BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING MATERIALS SPECIALISTS (http://www.enpointeconsulting.com.au).