You can have the best looking business website that attracts hordes of visitors, but you’re not guaranteed to make a single conversion. You can employ an appealing, regular e-marketing campaign with a large distribution list, but never sell a single item or service from your online efforts.
The real key to creating conversions and sales is your content. Developing original, interesting and engaging content for your website, emails and other marketing material will more often than not beat design and functionality. Put them all together and you’re on a real winner.
So how can you create content that sells?
- Know your target market – If you don’t know your target market and their needs, your content is likely to miss the mark.
- Highlight the benefits of your products or services to your target market, rather than the features. Customer benefits are almost always more powerful than focusing on the features of your business or products.
- Don’t be deadpan or boring. Use an interesting writing style that grabs the reader’s emotions.
- Carefully proofread your content before you publish.
- Keep your content up to date.
- Don’t exaggerate or make outlandish claims as this diminishes trust and credibility.
- Keep asterisks and fine print to a minimum. Nothing annoys people more than expecting a free or discount product or service, only to find out it’s anything but.